Since we’ve accomplished half of a year already, I figure it’s time to check in to see how I’m accomplishing my reading goals.
As you may or probably don’t remember, this year I laid down the gauntlet of reading 24 books in total, 2 books a month, only 4 could be re-reads. The object of these goals was to get me into the habit of reading steadily. I also hoped that I would continue reading widely, which was what my reading goals emphasized last year, even though I put no restrictions on what I could read.
So, according to this, six months should equal 12 books. Let’s check the math. Here are the books I’ve read so far:
1. The Badge by Jack Webb
2. The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Twain: A Book of Quotations edited by Alex Ayres
3. Jaws by Peter Benchley (re-read)
4. The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore
5. Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt by Kenneth McKenzie and Todd Harra
6. Don’t Look Back, We’re Not Going That Way by Marcia Wallace
7. Ron Santo: A Perfect Ten by Pat Hughes and Rich Wolfe
8. Horns by Joe Hill
9. Just Farr Fun by Jamie Farr
10. The Tale of Halcyon Crane by Wendy Webb
11. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
12. Master and Commander by Patrick O’Brian
Looks like I’m right on target. Decent mix of fiction and non-fiction. Even got some chick-lit and a classic in there. It hasn’t always been easy getting in my reading time every day and I admit to being lazy about it sometimes, but I’m meeting the challenge pretty well. Reading two books at once helps.
The best part about this is that I have a pile of books waiting to be read. I won’t need to be scrambling for something to read any time soon.
One thought on “Writing–Reading Goals Update”